Re: Debian 2, What will it Have

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, ' ALLAN W. BART wrote:

> i did have a question about Xfree, it is my understanding that x will not
> be free after a new version?
>
> allan

X is going to split. There will be Open Group's X11R6.(>=4) which you can
still obtain free but can not distribute for money without buying a
License and there will be XFree86 which will remain GPL code for you to
use and distribute as you wish.  As a matter of fact, S.u.S.E. is a major
contributor to the XFree project. Many of their X servers are better than
the currently shipping XFree servers and can be downloaded from their web
page.

Basicly, as long as there is XFree, there will be X in Linux.

Wouldn't the XFree86 project be worthy of a donation from SPI?

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

http://www.debian.org