Re: Routing with Debian?

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Alain Toussaint wrote:

> i have a question,if there's 192.168.x.x type address and the server's
> kernel is compiled with ip masquerading,does the laptop would then be able
> to access the internet ??

Yes. If the IP masquerading, IP forwarding, IP firewalling, Always
Defragment and at least one more kernel option that I can't remember off
the top of my head are set, a new kernel built and properly installed and
the forwarding rules properly set up with ipfwadm.

The Debian kernel is not set up for IP-Masquearading "out of the box". You
need to build a new one. See /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade.gz for more
details if you installed the Linux docs.

> also,you ( job@abc.se ) could check if there's a resolv.conf file in your
> /etc directory and make it's correctly configured,other than that,i could
> not help further because of lack of knowledge in networking (i'm in the
> learning stage tough)
>
> Alain
>

> --

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

http://www.debian.org