Re: GIMP How is it?

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 1998 at 07:00:01PM -0500, Art Lemasters wrote:
> > > It's as good as PhotoShop, and better than any shareware program.
> >
> >      It is huge, sophisticated, and it does many things, but trying to
> > figure how to change a black or white background into a transparent one
> > will be like wandering in a desert of documents for days.

Try deleting the 'Background' layer (copy it under a different name
first :). You can then select and delete the color you would like to
make transparent.

> It appears to be just as difficult in PhotoShop 4.0 though. I am not
> a graphics person, but a friend who is had just as much trouble.

Right... PhotoShop can't (directly) save transparent GIFs.

The GIMP also has multiple undo, which PhotoShop can't do (yet...).

Scott
(who uses PhotoShop to mangle scientific drawings at his real job)

--
Scott Hanson <shanson@shcon.com>  <shanson@debian.org>
Johmsweg 9, D-21266 Jesteburg, Germany