Re: GIMP How is it?

Ben wrote:
>    I saw the linux journals write-up on gimp, now i would like to ask the
>    question, how does it stack up against commercial or established shareware
>    products?
>
> It's as good as PhotoShop, and better than any shareware program.

     It is huge, sophisticated, and it does many things, but trying to
figure how to change a black or white background into a transparent one
will be like wandering in a desert of documents for days.  While
wandering in this "desert," I chanced upon the site of another user
with a statement near the bottom of his page of images, "transparent
GIFs not done with the GIMP."  The faithful and initiated have said,
"But all you have to do is to create transparent GIF backgrounds
when you begin your work of art."  ...problem is, most of the fun
projects done with the GIMP require that the user implement some
solid background layers.  There is probably some way to do what
I have failed to do, but of many pages of documentation, I have
not found it.  Don't get me wrong.  Other than this difficulty
I complain about, it does many wonderful things.

Art