Re: [OFF TOPIC] Linus Torvalds, the man of the century

On Sat, Apr 11, 1998 at 03:56:30PM +0200, Paul Huygen wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote (in a message that I lost):
> and asked to vote for Linux Thorvalds.
>
> Orn Einar Hansen <oehansen@nettaxi.com> responded:
>
> >  Voting for Linus Tolrvalds is not a good idea. The man is not a
> >  Titan, in any sense of the word... even less than Bill Gates.
>
> I agree. Moreover, I think the "man of the century" list is a silly
> one, with its emphasis on captains of industry. I think that for
> instance scientists like Niels Bohr and Albert Einstein or Watson
> Crick, who founded the knowledge on which our technology is based,

One magazine did publish their top 100 people of the millenium late
last year, and it did contain Bohr, Einstein, Edison and many other
scientists, as well as musicians, politicians, etc.

I agree with both Paul and Orn -- although Linus does great work,
I don't think he, or Bill Gates, or anyone in this industry could
yet make Man of the Century. Perhaps next century.

Hamish