Re: X configuration problem

Alain Toussaint wrote:

> here's the output of SuperProbe:
>
> First video: Super-VGA
>         Chipset: Oak OTI037C (Port Probed)
>         Memory:  256 Kbytes
>         RAMDAC:  Generic 8-bit pseudo-color DAC
>                  (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
>
> and the card is not upgradable,i checked (i also have the manual),i would
> have a good use of the spare memory chip i have if this card where
> upgradable,i dont really mind the resolution but would it be possible to
> add the 320x200 video mode to the XF86Config without the doublescan thing
> (this is what mess my configuration because of this note:
> # Low-res Doublescan modes
> # If your chipset does not support doublescan, you get a 'squashed'
> # resolution like 320x400.
> and of course my card doesn't support it !!).
>
> thanks a lot.
>
> Alain Toussaint
>
> p.s.scuse me for the late reply,i was not often at home lately.

You certainly have given me something to think about.  Here are a couple
of suggestions:

1)  If your financial situation allows, purchase a new video svga card.
    There are quite a few on the market that are not that expensive.

2)  If getting a new video card  with at least 1M of video ram is out of
    the question then your only recourse is to hand edit your XF86Config
    file.  You might experement with removing the doublescan flag from
the
    modeline for 320x200 resolution.  A lot of X programs require at
least
    a 1024x768 resolution though.  You can get away with 640x480
resolution
    with most though.  But with your current system, I really don't know
    what else to tell you.

Sorry for the late response, but I searched the O'Reilly book
``X Window System Administrator's Guide 8'' and for your system I
couldn't
find any neat trick except by experementing on your system.

Wish I could help you further ;-)

LeRoy

--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037