squid & squid-novm problems

There is something strange with my squid(-novm) packages. On Monday I used
dselect to do an upgrade, and squid hasn't been working since. (Two months
ago I changed from squid to squid-novm, and it was working fine till
Monday). I tried to reinstall them, but the current ones cannot be
removed. The error messages:

For --purge squid:

dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove squid which isn't installed.

For --purge squid-novm:

(Reading database ... 23126 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing squid-novm ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/squid-novm.prerm: /etc/init.d/squid: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing squid-novm (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/squid: file does not exist
/var/lib/dpkg/info/squid-novm.postinst: /etc/init.d/squid: No such file or directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
 squid-novm

For dpkg -l 'sq*':

||/ Name            Version        Description
in  squid           <none>         (no description available)
un  squid-cgi       <none>         (no description available)
pF  squid-novm      1.1.21-1       Internet Object Cache (WWW proxy cache) NOVM
pn  squidclient     <none>         (no description available)

What can I do? Is there any dpkg option which could help me?

jabberwock

###    By lack of understanding they remained sane. (George Orwell)    ###