Re: Major Failure re-installing system!!!

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Stephen Carpenter wrote:

> I have re-installed my Debian Linux system many times over the past
> few months...
> A few times from hardware failures, once because of a broken package
> corrupting my filesystem...
> last night I had to do it again...I was recompiling my kernel (adding
> NE2000 suport...which I didn't have in the previous custom version)
> It would go for a while then I woul dget
> cc1 recieved fatal signal 11 ....and it would stop dead
> (I was building 2.0.29  on a hamm system)
> after a while of "futzing around" I tested the memory (I had a similar
> problem recently that was memory related...but these are
> completly differnt SIMMS)
> The memory tested fine (with memtest86) and I ddecided that since
> /home is on a differnt partition than /   ...I wont loose much
> so I saved soem configs and offf I went

I think your best course is to find where the hardware problem is. If you
have a minimal install then start testing. Use a cpu intensive program and
run it for 2-3 days as a test.

If you have replaced the simms, you could try to disable your cache
from the bios and run your program. If you still get problems it may be
your motherboard. There is also the possibility of the hd but its not
likely from what you've mentioned.

Get in the habit of checking /var/log/messages. Any serious problems will
show up here.
There is a good signal 11 reference on the web somewhere - unfortunatly I
can't remember the address.

Hope this helps.
John