Re: [OFF TOPIC] Connecting Win95 to Linux(server/gateway)

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Stephen A. Witt wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 servis@purdue.edu wrote:
> >
> > I would like to network the two so that the new Win95 machine uses the
> > Linux box as a gateway to the internet and as a server.  I will
> > probably try to use PLIP as the protocol between the two as the Win95
> > machine will not have a printer attached to it and I have a spare
> > parallel card I can drop in the Linux box which already has a printer
> > attached to it.
> >
> > So what documents do you all recommend.  I would like to leave the
> > printer on the Linux box.  So far I think I should read.
> >
> > Diald mini howto
> > IP Masquerade mini howto
> > Net-3 howto
>
> You need to rebuild the kernel for the IP Masq. stuff, its spelled out
> completely in the howto.  We used Ethernet as the LAN between the two
> computers and used the standalone IP addresses (192.168.1.0 network)
> mentioned in the howto.
>

> Good luck...

Probably, you would want to read PLIP mini howto and I must mention that
it says that nobody had been able to connect Linux and Win95 using plip
and direct cable connection. (As far as I can remember) I did not try it
myself so try it, maybe it will work for you...

ZORO