Xterm ALT key

Please excuse my unfamiliarity with the nomenclature of the keyboard.  I
think this is an FAQ, but I haven't grokked the previous threads.  I am
posting to ask why xterm persists in crummy handling of ALT so that bash
readline is a pain, or at least, not equivalent with bash on a terminal.
This is the case in jed, for example.  On a term, I can type \M-x using the
ALT key, but in and Xterm it's not so, I have to hit ESC then x.  The shell
readline keys are also not working "right" with ALT.

Rxvt has gone through evolutions over the post two years in handling of ALT.
These past few months it's been ok, but over the past two years, this
behavior has come and gone.

What will I have to do to get xterm to "do the right thing"?

Alan
--
Alan E. Davis                       Marianas High School (Science Department)
AAA196, Box 10001    adavis@netpci.com   http://www.saipan.netpci.com/~adavis