Re: X configuration problem

On Thu, Apr 09, 1998 at 02:58:54AM -0400, Alain Toussaint wrote:

> here's the output of SuperProbe:
>
> First video: Super-VGA
>         Chipset: Oak OTI037C (Port Probed)
>         Memory:  256 Kbytes
>         RAMDAC:  Generic 8-bit pseudo-color DAC
>                  (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
>

> and the card is not upgradable,i checked (i also have the manual),i would
> have a good use of the spare memory chip i have if this card where
> upgradable,i dont really mind the resolution but would it be possible to
> add the 320x200 video mode to the XF86Config without the doublescan thing
> (this is what mess my configuration because of this note:
> # Low-res Doublescan modes
> # If your chipset does not support doublescan, you get a 'squashed'
> # resolution like 320x400.
> and of course my card doesn't support it !!).

I probably could write you a video mode that runs at low refresh rates with
320x200 and no double scan. You could even make me to do it ;)

But serious: You don't want to run X Window with 320x200: The most programs
will have a window much bigger than your screen. It would be possible using
the virtual desktop (as you are doing it now (4 times bigger). But then you
would have to scroll around to find the buttons of the program.

No, I don't think you want this. I really urge you to buy a better graphic
card. A trio64v2 is pretty cheap, and will give you all modes you need on a
15 inch monitor. For a 17 inch monitor, a card with 4 MB is desirable.

Marcus