Re: Open Source and DFSG conspiracy ?

On 09 Apr 1998 10:35:20 EDT, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are the terms "DFSG" and "Open Source" completely interchangeable or
> not?  They're based on identical wording.
>
> Yes, they are, AFAIK.

On the one hand that's nice because it's completely interchangeable, on
the other hand two names for the same thing could easily be construed
as misleading.

> http://www.opensource.org/osd.html
> http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html#guidelines
>
> What's the relationship between Debian and Open Source?  (I know they
> share webspace, but I mean business-wise.)
>
> The DFSG is targeted to the free software community.  Open Source is
> targeted at the business community.  AFAIK, IIRC, and IMHO.

To clarify, RedHat is DFSG-compliant (it's listed in Open Source
products), and Debian is Open Source-compliant (Open Source definition
is DFSG), but because DFSG targets non-commercial software (ironically
the same software that appears on commercial Linux distros) and Open
Source targets commercial software, this classification is correct but
unintentional?  <shaking head>

What is the rationale for this distinction and why is it not stated
explicitly?

--
David Stern