Re: clean shutdown

On  8 Apr, Kenneth L. Summers wrote in reply to
> David B. Wilson
>> Is there a way to do a clean shutdown without becoming root?
>> (Preferably still restricting access to those who can push the power button.)
>>

> The method I tell folks around here to use is to go to a virtual console,
> press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and watch for the bios screen.  Then shut it off.
> If there is a better way, I'd be interested in hearing it (mostly so I can
> make sure nobody does it :)

ObDisclaimers: I have no idea what, if anything, I just broke.

I have modified /etc/inittab and /etc/kbd/default.map.gz.  In
/etc/kbd/default.map.gz, I have Control-Alt-Insert mapped to
KeyboardSignal, and in /etc/inittab, I have added a line (okay, I
uncommented one that was already there and modified it) that runs
"shutdown -h now" when it receives a kbsignal.  This way, when I press
Control-Alt-Insert, it does something almost like Ctrl-Alt-Del, but
halts instead of rebooting.  On my laptop, or on some machines which
support power management, this turns off the power as well.  I suppose
you could modify the Ctrl-Alt-Del sequence to halt instead of
rebooting, but I like the option to choose rebooting or halting.

I can provide copies of the relevant parts of those files on request - I
have three machines running Debian right now, and I've made this
modification on two of them.  Guess which of the three has net access
:-)
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College