Netscape, the bus errors, and everything

Someday I'm going to learn to never upgrade netscape once I have it working.

I had 3.0.1 quite happy, and I tried 4, which lacked the features I used.  So
i tried to go back, and got a usable but broken install.  Then I tried mozilla
5, and everything broke.

So after a couple of install/purge cycles, and switching to 3.0.4, I have an
installation that thinks it works; dpkg is happy.

But when I run it, I get

eyryttyp0:hawk>netscape
Netscape: Ignoring unsupported format code in mailcap file: %{
Netscape: Ignoring unsupported format code in mailcap file: %{
Netscape: Ignoring unsupported format code in mailcap file: %{
Bus error

how do I get it back?  mozilla largely doesn't work (bizarre page formatting,
failing to set up scrollbars, incorrectly returning "page has no data", etc.)

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.