Re: Linux freeform text database

I've used a thing called grok some, but not extensively.  It may
be just what you are looking for.  From the help intro:

    > Grok is a program to present unstructured data in a
    > row/column format using an index card paradigm. Each
    > database row (line) is a card; each database column (field)
    > is an item in the card. Items can be presented in the card
    > as various types and shapes. The presentation of a database
    > is determined by a "form".

The forms can be easily edited with a graphic layout tool.  It
comes with a couple of examples.  It runs well under linux and
other unix systems, which is a big plus for me.  There is not
currently a debian grok package, but there are linux binaries
available.  There's info at
<URL:http://www.in-berlin.de/User/bitrot/grok.html>.

Regards, Mike

--
Michael A. Miller                                miller5@uiuc.edu
  Department of Physics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign