Linux freeform text database

Hi Debmeisters,

This isn't specificically a Debian question, but I'm hoping that the
combined knowledge locked up in this group might be able to point me in the
right direction...

I've recently acquired myself a little old laptop, which, with help from
the group, is now loaded up and chugging along with Debian installed on it.
This year I'm also doing my Masters, and so I'm going to have to be keeping
track of a whole lot of literature and ideas and things like that. I've
decided that my brain isn't up to the task, so I might need a bit of
software help :)

What I'm basically looking for is something along the lines of a freeform
text database that will run under Linux (prefereable GPL'd or Freeware).
Another possibility is DOSEMU, but native linux would be the prefered choice.

Something which I can just use as a searchable cardfile or something like
that would be good, but I have yet to find something like that that'll work
under linux. I have got edb, which is a database that runs under emacs, but
i'm not yet sure if that's really what I'm after. Also do know if I can be
bothered working out how to create a new database (am I the only one who
can't remember a million M-x emacs commands?).

Surely there must be something like this around? I can't be the only linux
user who has ever thought something like this would be A Good Thing. Any
advice, tips, pointers, or anything like that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

damon

========
Damon Muller (damon@lenore.empire.net.au)
Web Page:   www.sub.net.au/~tr      It's not a sense of humor. It's
ICQ UIN:    2920281                 a sense of irony disguised as one.
PGP Key ID: 0x232C09E1                   - Bruce Sterling