How to install linux

Actually I am not a debian user, (yet) but I am hoping to become one soon with
some help.  I have an old 486/50 that I want to install it on, but I have never
really used linux or unix so I am completely lost.  I have it (the 486)
connected to my main computer with a serial link so I can load stuff that I
download into it pretty easily, but when I looked at the debian FTP site there
were so many files... which ones do I need?  Anyway, right now the 486 just has
command.com and the other essentials for dos on it.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

(please reply to "christopher_kern@concordacademy.org)

Full system details:

IBM PS/2 486SLC2 50Mhz
212 MB SCSI HDD
8 MB RAM

* Concord Academy, 166 Main Street, Concord, MA 01742 * 978.369.6080 *
* http://www.concordacademy.org * postmaster@concordacademy.org      *