help with SCSI warnings

Whenever I use (i.e. install a package or use find- some read intensive
task) my SCSI cdrom, I get the message
"Warning: Running low on SCSI on SCSI DMA buffers"
Whenever I use (i.e. install a package or use find- some read intensive
task) my SCSI cdrom, I get the message
"Warning: Running low on SCSI on SCSI DMA buffers"

This occurs on my 486 running Debian 1.3.1- the SCSI card in question in
an Adaptec 1535 (a 154x sans bios).
I'm using a kernel that I've recompiled from the 2.0.32 deb package- all
my base SCSI stuff is hardwired (I saw a few posts on Dejanews
suggesting that this might solve the problem- it doesn't, in my case),
while the cdrom and the iso9660 filesys are set up as modules.

These messages sometimes fill up an entire screen- but more than being
an annoyance that I'd like to solve, I wonder why they're occuring.

Thanks!

John Szumowski
harpo@javanet.com