Re: swapFILE vs swapDISK ??

On Fri, Apr 03, 1998 at 01:33:24PM -0500, Nebu John Mathai wrote:

> Is there any performance loss to making swapfiles (large ones), as opposed
> to having a static swap partition?
> Will it (this may sound silly, but my hard drive is old too ... 1993)
> increase the wear and tear on my hard drive?

Yes - with a swap partition you only need to ensure that you write to the
correct parts.  With a swap-file you have to deal with the filesystem too -
e.g. ensuring that the "last modification" date is correct must take a fair
bit of time for a swap-file!

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | 2.0 release soon - over 1800
PGP key available on public key servers  | packages on a stable OS