Re: sdram and linux

thanks for the info.  The motherboard recognizes the memory
as sdram just fine and linux starts up ok but then the problems
start.  Mostly, applications stop and disappear from the
desktop without warning and the file system (as fsck reports)
becomes corrupted.  The machine never locked up and it appears
to shut down normally, but on the next boot, fsck lists some problems
that require that I boot from a floppy and run fsck on hda(1).
fsck then fixes all the problems (several screens worth) and then
linux will boot up normally again, shutdown ok and then the next
boot up begins with the problems all over again.  I've done this
sequence about 8 times without any apparent permanent damage.

No applications or programs appear to be corrupted by this
sequence.  I re-installed the original 72 pin EDO stuff and
have been running both the 2.0.33 and 2.0.30 kernels I built
without any problems at all.  I've come to the conclusion that
the no-name motherboard I'm using, which has been working just
fine and without even a burp, just has a problem with sdram.
One 64 meg sdram I tried showed as 16 megs AND locked up on boot.
The second one registered the mem ok, but had the previous problems.
Both work ok on the Redmond stuff.  This motherboard doesn't appear
to have any bios configuration items in it for the sdram.

thanks,
--
tony mollica
tmollica@sb.net