randomly losing focus

Beginning about three weeks ago I've been randomly losing focus in
X-windows.  The way this usually occurs is that I'm navigating a menu
and suddenly the (netscape, fr, exmh ..) menu disappears (usually the
app will remain in focus, but not always).  Further, that menu will not
re-open until I open another menu first (nor will some other menus
closeby).  A similar type of incident occurs occasionally when I'm
viewing an xterm or an auxiliary window to an app (help or config) and
it suddenly loses focus, sending it underneath another app.  The
frequency varies, but it can be quite often, other times seldom, and it
doesn't seem to depend on any particular app or number of apps.

There are no bug reports for this sort of behavior in xserver-svga, and
I've already verified that this is not specific to my window manager
afterstep (it happens with wmaker as well, and there aren't any bugs of
this sort for these two window managers).  This is also not an
authority issue (occurs without running su, ssl, xhost, xauth, ..).
I've also looked in /var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog, however there
are no errors.

Losing focus while navigating menus is becoming annoying, and it no
longer appears to be an "unstable" issue.  Anyone have any ideas what
might be causing this sort of behavior, or how I can go about
troubleshooting it?

--
David Stern