Re: Hardware question.

Hi,

>> I am looking at a new computer for my parrents to get me for college... I
>> looked at the hardware howto but somethings arn't listed.... so heres
>> what I am looking at getting.
>>
>> Tiger K6233 customize it yourself kit.
>> it contains:

Sounds like a good choice.

>> a ATX motherboard with the VIA 590vp2 chipset... can anyone tell me if
>> this will work with debian? ... it says it suports UDMA which AFAIK in not
>> suported by linux ... the motherboard uses a award bios... does anyone out
>> there have one of these mobo's... can I turn of UDMA?

I don't know about the motherboard, but I know that some can cause problems,
but I have never had any.  UDMA as far I as know can not be disabled.  I have
friends that have had to disable the cache while installing but after that it
seems to work fine. dunno why this is though.

>> a Generic S3 Virge video card ... will most of these work?

Sounds fine, but it may be worth checking out just to make sure.

>> will a udma hard drive work in ide mode ...

All hard drives I have had are backwards compatiable and YES a UDMA hard drive
will work in standard IDE or E-IDE modes, it just won't be as fast as it could
be.

>> the other hard drive I am looking at uses the interface mode called
>> "EIDE mode 4" what is this and will it work?

This is refering to the data transfer mode that the Hard Drive uses.  i.e. Most
newer drives are Mode 4, but before UDMA, the standard E-IDE ones were of mode
1,2,3 or 4, I have not found any hard drive that is incompatiable and I have
got all mode 4 drives, even my E-IDE cdrom drive is mode 4. But like yourself I
do not think the UDMA support is avaliable at the moment, but it will still
work.

The only thing I would say is that check out if linux has a limitation of the
size of a partition, I don't know if it does as I have never come across this
problem but I may exist.  But I am sure someone else on this list will be able
to fully answer that question.

The only things you have'nt said is memory, I would go for 64Mb but 32 would be
acceptiable but as usual, more is better, especially when using X, also will
you be using a sound card i.e. is it plug and play or not.