Re: Smail/Sendmail Question

>> I found sendmail easier to setup than smail... others would probably
>> disagree.

I can belive that but ideally I would like to use smail but if sendmail will do
what i want then i will use that.

>> I have sendmail set up as :
>> sendmail -bd -q 15m

same as mine at the moment.

>> I am using a win95 machine hooked to a linux machine which is on a dialup
>> to an ISP.

I am not, i have 3 linux server on as a mail server, web server, DNS Server and
it is this machine that is used to dialup the internet and upload/download
internet email.  So it needs to be able to tell the difference between an
internal bound email and an internet bound email.

>> I just killed ppp on the linux machine and sent mail through it from the
>> win95 machine.
>> It queued the message then sent it out when pppupd reconnected.

All well and good but what does it do why you try to send email destined for
another user on the same server or to a different server.

>> The outgoing server on the win95 machine must be kept as an ip address
>> because the nameserver won't be running on the linux machine until it is
>> connected to an ISP name service.  e.g  SMTP server 192.168.1.25 in my
>> case.

I works for me when i am connected but my email address is kept the same i.e.
user@internal.net.org not user@internet.com as it should be, this prevents
someone replying to that email as the return address is not valid.  So i just
get a reply saying that the internet isp's mail server cannot deliver the
email.

>> It did not change the headers at all.
>> I can send you a copy of the config file (sendmail.cf) if you require.
>>
>> Ian

	Graham