Re: Sending email(smail)

On 5 Feb 1998, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> Adam Heath <adam.heath@usa.net> writes:
>
> > Sorry, but it doesn't.  I use Pine, with the smtp host as localhost.  Pine
> > comes back as saying it can't be delivered.  I believe this is because smail
> > is trying to resolve with dns, can't, and gives up.
>
> What version of smail do you use?
> If you use X, make your xterm as wide as possible, try again and tell us
> the exact errormessage smail gives you.
>

> Does
>
> mailx -s testmail adam.heath@usa.net
> testmail
> ..
>
> work?

Yes, this does.

Smail: 3.2.0.100-4
Pine: 3.96L-2

This is the error message I get:
[Mail not sent. Sending error: 450 defer '<adam.heath@usa.net>', sender]

Let me state this again.  Sending mail on the cmd line will queue mail for
later delivery when not online.  However, if I am in Pine, it(Pine) attempts
to use the local smtp relay(localhost), and mail delivery fails(doesn't
queue).

Adam.