Re: Newbie Debian + X Questions

You wrote:

>But everytime I start X I'm stuck with the 1284 mode and I want to use
>the 1024*768 mode.

1.  CTRL+ALT+<Grey+> switches X to next videomode, CTRL+ALT+<Grey->
-- previous.
2.  You can edit XF86Config by hand.  Start X on one virtual console and
'ae /etc/X11/XF86Config' on another (ALT+F7 gives you default X console,
CTRL+ALT+F[1-6] -- text consoles 1-6.)  Run xvidtune, adjust the display
and copy the numbers into appropriate "Modeline"s in XF86Config.  I'm sure
you'll work out which numbers go where, if not -- ask.
HTH
--
Dimitri