Re: $TERM = "xterm" acting funny on non-linux terms

Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> said:

> I noticed this too. Setting my term to xterm-r6 solved the problem.
>
> I think you or I should submit a bug report on the ncurses-term
> package -- its xterm terminfo entry is Linux-specific. The xterm-r6
> entry is correct, and works for both Linux and non-Linux xterms.

Such a bug has already been submitted.  See the log for #14366.

This is not as clear-cut a case as you might think.  The problem with
the xterm is not that it is linux-specific, it's that it's too new for
many old X windows systems out there.  I feel that asking people with
old systems to use a different terminfo entry is not such a great
hardship, when it gives us the advantage of up-to-date support "out of
the box".

--Galen