PPP problems

YO!

That did it. Thanks a bunch. I've been able to d/l most of the distribution this evening!!!

Thanks a million.

Ian W

> I have been firing up Minicom to dial and log on, then CTRL-AQ to drop
> out of Minicom without reseting the modem (as described in the PPP-
> HOWTO) and then entering a command thus:
>
> pppd -d -detach /dev/ttyS0 38400 &
>
> again from the PPP-HOWTO. The additional commands are defined in the PPP
> options file.

Drop the minicom stuff. Use pon for dialing and poff for disconnect.
First edit /etc/ppp.options_out and /etc/ppp.chatscript to match your
needs. Don't forget the debug option.

> The link (same modem, same ISP) works fine under Win95 & WinNTWS. I have
also now managed to set up a dial-up script with the same result.

> I have checked with my ISP and they are not using PAP or CHAP.

So you use a script in a terminal window on win95 and NT ?
Then edit /etc/ppp.chatscript and use pon.

If you use X, then you also may want to give xisp.deb a try. Get it from
ftp://134.95.210.54/pub (for a recent version).