RE: Cron <root@mattyt> run-parts /etc/cron.daily (fwd)

> On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Matt Thompson wrote:
>
> > I have started getting these messages out of the blue:
> >
> > chgrp: invalid group name `#-1'
> > chgrp: invalid group name `#-1'
> > chgrp: invalid group name `#-1'
> > chgrp: invalid group name `#-1'
> > chgrp: invalid group name `#-1'
> > chgrp: invalid group name `#-1'
> >
> >   Electric Fence 2.0.5 Copyright (C) 1987-1995 Bruce Perens.
> >
> >   Electric Fence 2.0.5 Copyright (C) 1987-1995 Bruce Perens.
> >
> > ...and my ISP would rather that my machine doesn't continue to send out
> > messages to 'root@oz.net'.
> >
> > Since there doesn't seem to be a man page or an info page and the /usr/doc
> > information is very limited, can someone help me with this?
> >
> > btw, what does electric fence really do? (in layman's terms :) )
>
> Update sed, it accidentally got linked with Electric Fence.  efence is a
> malloc debugger that is supposed to help trap bad memory accesses.

Does this help with security?  That is, does it help protect me from
attacks from across the Internet?  Or does it simply help applications
from interfering with one-another?

I'm currently running sed 2.05-19.  I'm running a full hamm installation
and I just updated this morning (Dec 1st).  Would you suppose my problem
is therefore fixed?  Would deinstalling and re-installing efence help at
all?  What pitfalls do I open myself up to if I remove efence?

Hope that's not too many questions...:)

Thanks loads,
matty