Re: Anti-relaying rules for smail?

In addition to the steps already mentioned to stop relaying (I use
sendmail, so I don't have a clue here...), you might want to do a couple
things:

-use ipfwadm to stop his host even touching your port 25.

-here's the fun part: invoice him for the cost of bandwidth, processor
cycles, diskspace and your time. When he doesn't pay, turn over the
invoice to a debt collection agency. They'll pay you a proportion of the
debt, and then harass him for years and probably damage his credit rating.
A**holes of this caliber deserve medieval treatment of this kind.

Thomas.

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:

> From: Remco Blaakmeer <remco@Cal011205.student.utwente.nl>
> To: Debian Users List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 04:11:06 +0100 (CET)
> Subject: Anti-relaying rules for smail?
>
> Hi,
>
> Some guy is relaying a huge lot of spam e-mail via my computer. My
> computer is normally only used by myself and I do receive a lot of e-mail
> through several lists, but this guy caused /var/log/smail/logfile to be 41
> MB (that's right, forty-one MEGABYTES) [1]. Does anyone know how to
> prevent such actions, apart from blocking smtp traffic from his computer
> [2]?  I tried mailing his postmaster (using his IP address, not the From:
> line), but I got a 'message undeliverable' (or something like that) error.
>
> What I would want is a filter that blocks any attempt of sending an e-mail
> from another host to a user at a third host. I beleive this is called
> relaying.  The filter should look at the 'rcpt to:' smtp command, not at
> the 'From:' or 'To:' headers. I know this can be done with sendmail,
but
> how do I do it with smail?
>
> Remco
>
> [1] this file is rotated once a day like on any default Debian system
>
> [2] this doesn't prevent others from doing the same trick
>

> --

--(fortune.sig)--
In Nature there are neither rewards nor punishments, there are consequences.
		-- R.G. Ingersoll