Re: pon permission problems

That is correct. You do not normally want users to be able to bring up and
shut down network connections. Try sudo to allow certain users to perform
certain functions but beware ... if a user can bring up a network
connection, you are basicly giving them authority to dial to anywhere in
the world from your computer.

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, michael wrote:

> The pon command works from the root account but not from the 'michael'
> user account (mine's a single user system).  Michael is a member of
> group pid and dialout.
>
> When michael executes pon the system issues the following complaint:

> /etc/ppp.options_out
>
> ls -l on ppp.chatscript:
>
> -rw-------   1 root     root          235 Nov 27 11:54
> /etc/ppp.chatscript
>
> ls -l on ppp.options_out:
>
> -rw-------   1 root     root          108 Nov 27 12:01
> /etc/ppp.options_out
>
> Clearly these files have the wrong permissions or owners.  Which is it?
>
> PS.  I had installed Netscape Communicator vis dpkg (took a while to get
> the tar file named correctly).  However, I didn't like the setup because
> it wouldn't run as root.  So I deinstalled via dpkg then used the
> netscape install script.  Any problems with that?
>
> PPS.  I installed the jdk stuff via dpkg as well.  It took a while to
> figure out why Netscape was exiting by itself.  I thought Java was
> included with it, why isn't it and why does it crash without it (because
> I've got Java module support installed in the kernel?)?
>

> --

George Bonser
Debian/GNU Linux  See http://www.debian.org
Linux ... It isn't just for breakfast anymore!