Re: lpd daemon (LPRng variant) does not stay in background when exec'd

> My LSL Debian 1.3 installation came with the
> LPRng variant of the lpd setup.
>
> Does lpd need to run in the background for
> lpr to work?

Yes, it needs. It is started in debian  by script /etc/init.d/lprng.

> I thought it did, but when
> I do this:
>
> # lpd
> # ps -ef | grep lpd
>
> it is clear that lpd exits immediately.
> What's up?

It don't exist. It is installed as deamon.
You don't see lpd for three reasons:
- lpd work as user lpd (you need option -a for ps),
- lpd hasn't any terminal (option -x)
- Sometimes lpd's command line appears in /proc in upper case
  (I don't know why) (you need option -i for grep)

This command shold work:

     ps -axef | grep -i lpd

Mirek