Re: screen snapshot

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, tko wrote:

> Wintermute writes:
> >
> > tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:
> >
> > > How does one get a snapshot/logfile of the bootup process? I know about dmesg
> > > but the part which interest me is the processing which occurs _after_ dmesg
> > > stops. I've seen various debug messages, but they scroll off the screen before
> > > the login prompt comes up. I'd like to investigate and fix them if I could
> > > find out what they are. 8-)
> >
> > As for taking a snapshot I'm not sure.... .but you can access things that roll off
> > of the screen by holding down shift and pressing the page up key to browse through
> > the buffer.
>
> I already tried that. It doesn't work. I beleive that the buffer hasn't been
> set up yet until the login prompt. The stuff that I need to see appears
> _before_ the login prompt shows.

I have no idea how linux implements said scrolling, but I can scroll back
to the messages that are printed before the operating system loads (on a
system that doesn't wipe the screen before and after scanning the SCSI),
thusly:

--8<--------

AMIBIOS (C)1992 American Megatrends, Inc.
BIOS Version 1.00.05.CV2

0032768 KB

Please Wait...

Keyboard.....Detected
Mouse........Detected

ATAPI Device Installed MATSHITA CR-583

Floppy A: Installed

NCR SDMS (TM) V3.0 PCI SCSI BIOS, PCI Rev. 2.0
Copyright 1993 NCR Corporation.
NCRPCI-3.07.00
ID 00   HP      C3325A
ID 04   iomega  jaz 1GB                                                       j

Enter Password (1): ********

LILO Loading Linux
Uncompressing Linux...done.
Now booting the kernel
Console: 16 point font, 400 scans
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory structure at 0x000fd2e0
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory entry at 0xfd2f0
pcibios_init : PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfd311
Probing PCI hardware.
Warning : Unknown PCI device (1002:5654).  Please read include/linux/pci.h
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 53.04 BogoMIPS
Memory: 30880k/32768k available (732k kernel code, 384k reserved, 772k data)
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0

etc. etc.

But I'm glad vga=6 helped you.

--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151