Re: permissions and ownership

Hi,

Understanding this X permission stuff was confounded by the limited
amount of information available in /usr/doc , man pages, regular and
mini HOWTO's, and even my books offered virtually nil. Undeterred, I
was compelled to find out about all this xauh, xhost, ssh stuff, so I
set out on a 'net quest, and found the answers to my questions.

Since I can't recall seeing any similar discussion on this list, I
thought someone else might also be X-permission knowledge-challenged,
so I decided to post some url's I found useful in the event someone
might benefit.  Also, the Term-HOWTO , section 12.3 was good.

	How to Run Remote X Applications
	http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/Remote-X-Apps.html

	Securing X Windows (html)
	http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/documents/ciac2316.html

	X Security
	ftp://ftp.beckman.uiuc.edu/security/xsecurity.ps

	Safely Using the X Window System
	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~dittrich/x/safe-x/

	Ssh (Secure Shell) FAQ - Frequently asked questions
	http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~ig25/ssh-faq/ssh-faq.html

I still don't know why my cpu load went through the roof last night and
all root logins froze, but I'm at least glad to think I know what I'm
doing for a moment or two.:-)  I appreciated the responses I got.

David Stern