Re: /etc/init.d/network

-----Original Message-----
From: stick@richnet.net <stick@richnet.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Date: Thursday, November 13, 1997 7:19 AM
Subject: /etc/init.d/network

>Howdy all.
>
>I've got one machine that's really got me stumped.  I've been with
>Debian since before 0.91 was released - I've installed Debian on
>several systems, many times.  Yet this one's tough...
>
>The systems is running on an AMI Titan III M/B w/ 32MB RAM.  Dual
>Pentium Processors (so I guess they both will choke on that opcode...:)
>two quantum 3.2GB SCSI drives plus the usual complement of Floppy/CD-ROM/
>tape drive.
>
>I've had two network cards in this machine: first, an HP 100VG PCI and
>then an Eagle NE2000 ISA.  Both exhibit the same problem.  Which is...
>
>When the system boots /etc/init.d/network is run (I know this is true
>because I added some echo statements & watched the screen while it booted.)
>Anyway, after I boot the eth0 interface is not setup.  If I run
/etc/init.d/
>network by hand afterwards, everything is fine.  I've checked, double-
>checked, and even had a friend check that there were no hardware conflicts.
>Interrupts and IO addresses are all fine.  I've tried compiling the drivers
>into the kernel and as loadable modules - nothing seems to help this
problem.

>Does anyone have any suggestions?  I can provide several K bytes worth of
files
>if someone wants to take a look at them.  So far everything's fairly
straight
>out of the box on this system.  Running "the Official Debian CD" release
>1.3.1, though I've recently started migrating to the libc6 tree.
>
>Comments and suggestions welcome.
>Thanks.
>Chuck

I had this problem for a while.  What fixed it was removing dhcpc.  IE DHCP
Client.

Eth0 is brought up.  Later during bootup, dhcpc tries to find an ip address
from a dhcp server, can't find one, and sets the address to 0.0.0.0.

At least that is what fixed it on my end.

Adam Heath
adam.heath@usa.net
http://wwp.mirabilis.com/3375265  -- Page me