Down after 75 days of up time

Shut!!!

Our main Linux server that handles mail (SMTP/POP3), WWW (apache),
HTTP proxying and caching (Squid), primary DNS, remote access (PPP),
file and printing services (Samba and NFS), network News (innd), among
other things, crashed yesterday after 75 days of up time.

Boy, I can tell you it is really _stressing_ to arrive in the office
on Monday morning and find your spoiled server on its biting the dust.
Phones ringing every 30 seconds, people coming into your office to
know what's going on, etc.

In 3 hours we were up again because we took the SCSI drives to an old
486@66 MHz and recompiled the kernel. Not a big deal.

After all, it was nice because now I am configuring a PPro@180 MHz
with an AHA 2940 Ultra and a Barracuda. It's a nice way to get rid of
that old Pentium@66 MHz with the FDIV bug (and of course the LOCK
bug).

The server is running Debian 1.3.1 (started at Debian 1.1) and it was
the power supply that failed.

It's been quite an experience.

See ya!

E.-