ftpmail@sunsite.unc.edu ? Other ftpmail servers (debian) ?

In Matt Welsh's book (Running Linux, 2nd ed) I found that
"
	FTPMAIL is a service that allows you to obtain files from from FTP
 	archive sites via Internet electronic mail.
"
As was suggested there, I emailed ftpmail@sunsite.unc.edu with a message body
containing only the word help. But I did not got any reply, nor did I got my
email back.
Is this service working and if so, how can I use it ?

BTW, Are there any other ftpmail servers, for example by debian and its
mirrors ? And if not, why ?