Re: diald / ppp routing problems on hamm system [SOLVED]

This did the trick.  Thanks Phil!

This disrupted my operations here for a few days, and seems like it could
impact other people upgrading to hamm from bo.  So should I file a bug
report on this, and if so how do I do it?

--ken

> > I very recently upgraded my home system from bo to hamm.  As soon
> > as I installed the netbase package, diald stopped working.  The
> > PPP link would connect, but the PPP link no longer was selected
> > as the default route.  However, I could establish the link using
> > the 'pon' command.  (I was using a fairly old revision of PPP,
> > maybe ppp_2.2.0f-23.)
> >
> On your problem:
> There were some problems reported with the /etc/nsswitch.conf.
> The networks line says " files dns" which means that when resolving a network address, libc will try first /etc/networks, then ask on DNS.
> However route tries to resolve the net diald passes to it and blocks in there (the DNS server cannot be contacted because there's no route to it, and the route cannot be established because the net has to be resolved).
>
> Try removing the dns entry from the networks line of /etc/nsswitch.conf.
>
> Anyways, this is problematic to have this networks line with dns, and a future version of base-files is supposed to fix this.
>
> Phil.

                              __
  Ken Lauffenburger          / /                    __  __
  ken@efficient.com         / /  D e b i a n  G N U \ \/ /
                       ________http://www.debian.org________