can't get remote xdm login screen...help!

Hi,

     After getting my Linux pc on the network here at work using DHCP
(thanks for the help), I've tried getting in via xdm using xwin32, but
without success.

     Here's the score - if I use xwin32 and try to query the linux machine
directly, after a very long pause (say a minute?) I get a message saying
something along the lines of 'Display <some obscure network name which isn't
the network name of the linux machine> could not be opened'.

     If i bring up a choser using the 'broadcast' option, I get our SG
machines on the list with 'willing to manage'.  Selecting one of those
brings up the xdm login screen.  Fine.  But my linux machine, although on
the list, has the message 'available' (not 'willing to manage' as with the
SG machines).  Selecting it just gives the same problem as mentioned above.

     I don't know the difference between 'willing to manage' and 'available'
but guess that if i could get my linux machine on the list as 'willing to
manage', then i could login via xdm.

     Can anybody help me?  This is Linux advocacy stuff...

     Martin