Re: X upgrade

On Wed, Oct 22, 1997 at 12:05:16PM +0100, G. Kapetanios wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >From my mirror I see that the setup for X has changed considerably. I am
> wondering what is the correct procedure to upgrade. I have X 3.3-4
> Here is what i think i should do.
>
> First upgrade xlib6 to 3.3.1-1, then remove xlib6-dev and everything that
> depnds on it and install xlib6-altdev, then install xlib6g and xlib6g-dev
> and then install all the xfnt and the rest of 3.3.1-1
>
> Is this the right way ? Will I have any trouble ? Having a working X on my
> machine is critical for me.

In this case you should not upgrade.

The new X is a glibc version (3.3-4 is in bo, isn't it?). The server seems
to be a bit unstable (sometimes it corrupts my consoles).

So, if you are happy with bo, stay with it for a little bit longer.

Thank you,
Marcus

PS: If you really need to upgrade, upgrade to libc6 first. Use the mini
HOWTO by Scott Ellis to do it right. Once again: Read the mini-HOWTO
carefully. Otherwise you are most likely going to cook your system.

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."
Marcus Brinkmann