xdm, xinit and startx problem

Hi,

     With regards to your xman problem, have you checked the permissions of
/dev/null?

     I had exactly the same problem and messages from xman with an
installation of Slackware - it was because /dev/null only had root
permissions.  I had to chmod it so that everybody could use /dev/null. This
solved the xman problem.

     Perhaps this is your problem with Xman, but perhaps not.  Just an idea.

          Martin