Problems unpacking source shadow-961025.orig

Hello,

I want to change the maximum username length, therefore I have to recompile
the shadowsuite. But I have a problem when unpacking the source:

I copied all three shadow*-files from my Debian 1.3.1 cdrom and tried it
several times (fiddling with the options -sn and -su and untaring if
manually).

--snip--

niep# dpkg-source -x shadow_961025-2.dsc
dpkg-source: error: diff patches file (shadow-961025.orig/src/.deps/.P)
whose directory does not appear in tarfile

--snap--

Any ideas ?

Regards,
Robert M. Albrecht