Re: Some teTeX PrOblEms

adavis@netpci.com (Alan Eugene Davis) writes:

> I don't understand why latex of teTeX can't see any files I have
> placed into /usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/misc.  Also, there seems to be
> no provision for placing new files in
> /usr/local/lib/texmf/tex/latex/misc.  If this is true, this is a
> major weakness.

Don't blame teTeX for not having read the documentation provided! The
point you are rising is one of the configurable aspects of teTeX which
is well documented. Actually one of teTeX's strenght's is the very
complete documentation coming with it.

I suggest that you start the program 'texconfig' (it even has a small
man page explaining what it is) and simply press enter on the menu
entry "FAQ frequently asked questions + answers". Then read and most
troubles will be resolved if you take this information for granted.

To make things short: you have to add an entry for "$TEXMFL" in your
"$TEXMF/texmf.cnf" file pointing to "/usr/local/lib/texmf/" directory
and run 'texhash' if you want your additions to be considered when
running TeX/LaTeX. And never forget to execute 'texhash' when you've
changed anything in your teTeX setup. This is all very well documented.

> Another teTeX problem that many people have possibly given the wrong
> answer for: there are no page numbers in the article style, as far as
> I can tell!  This isn't an xdvi problem.

I don't know how the preamble of your documents look like therefore i
can't help you with this. I get page numbers with the following
minimal preamble:
----------bite-here--------------------------
\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}

\begin{document}

Some silly text\ldots

\end{document}
----------bite-here--------------------------

> So far, I don't see the significant benefits from using teTeX, and
> there have been a lot of users' complaints.

Well, i doubt that. Not only for me teTeX has made the use of
TeX/LaTeX pretty troublefree and administration of the TeX setup has
become quite transparent even for a non TeXpert like me.  Compared
with the former Debian TeX/LaTeX system or the NTeX i used to use with
Slackware teTeX is a piece of cake if not even the cake itself. But a
tool is only as good as your own intimate knowledge of how to handle
it. So just read some of the provided fine documentation and rejoice
about Thomas Esser's (and Christoph Martin's!!) great work.

                                               Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig