Re: splitting up the debian-user mailing list

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997 09:33:57 +0200 (METDST), Christian Lynbech wrote:

Bruce,

I don't think it's going to make much difference. I'll wind-up subscribing
to all the lists, and between the cc: ing between them I'll receive lots
more dups...it will just be more of a bother to maintain...maybe so much
I'll NOT read some of the lists I normally do.

Nice thought but it really won't work. If you had a few constant threads
that you could point out at as seperate subjects (ie network, install, etc)
you could do it. But everything in the list is highly intermingled. If you
broke it up this way you will still have one main list everybody uses, and a
few small lists that are staved except for all the cc's!

Here's an idea....You could make several email address that all go to the
same list. And when they post to that the listmanger adds a formated topic
to the begining of the subject. IE

debian-user-install@   Subject: How do I?????
It gets sent to the list as  Subject: [INSTALL] How do I????
Easy to sort, whatever, with your email client.

If the CC is automatically set to the proper list the responces should
remain correct.

It will take some perl, but will be better then seperate lists IMHO.
Otherwise just leave it as it is.