ppp & kernel question

I have just created a custom kernel using dpkg and make-kpkg after
installing Debian.  I added ppp support as a module.  When I reboot
(using my method of a boot disk) and use pon I get: Sorry, there is no
ppp support in this kernel.  When I do an lsmod I get:
serial 7 0 (I think those numbers are right)
ppp    5 0
slhc   2 [ppp] 0

To make the kernel I did:
make menuconfig
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg -r=gestalt.1.0 kernel_image (gestalt is my machine name)
dpkg -BRGiE kernel2.0.29gestalt1.0i486.deb (not quite right but you get
the point)
let it make a boot disk for me

voila! no ppp support
Any words of wisdom or consoling pats on the back are appreciated.