Re: preferred way to build web sites?

>>Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
 >Hello !
 >
 >I'm a happy Debian User and I live with unstable. I like Debian, because I
 >can do everything very easy (killer apps for mail, web and so on).
 >

 >But I cannot find a good way to build web pages. How do you build web sites
 >with Debian? Via SGML (with Emacs) or with simple vi? I need something like
 >a meta-html, because I don't want to change links in all *.html, if I change
 >the location of one file.
 >
 >Suggestions, anyone? Is there a Debian package of a good (text-based)
 >HTML-editor?

I use make and cpp.  Depending on what pages are like, you can have a
header, footer, sidebar etc. simply #include'd from separate files.
Cpp's -D defines are also handy, except they don't work inside quoted
strings (i.e. <A href="DEFINED_URL"> doesn't work). :(  Cpp also
doesn't like unmatched apostrophes etc.  (I think if I have to do more
html, I'll write a specialized cpp replacement ...)
I use jed to edit the stuff -- it does syntax highliting etc.  I suspect
nowadays vi does, too.  It works quite well when you're making a large
number of more or less standard pages.  YMMV.

Speaking of html, how does one use sgml tools to do dtd validation? -- is
there a howto somewhere?

--
Dimitri
-------