Still can't install any deb's

I recieve the following error no matter what I try to install
I'm in desperate need of help my system is not configed properly
Please help

Dragon# dpkg -i mgetty-fax_1.1.2-1.deb
(Reading database ... dpkg: error processing mgetty-fax_1.1.2-1.deb (--install):
 files list file for package `mgetty-fax' contains empty filename
 mgetty-fax_1.1.2-1.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
Above error.
When I try to install the pkg that seems to have a `empty file name'

Do you want to install the files fetched [y]:
Installing files...
(Reading database ... dpkg: error processing debian/stable/binary-i386/x11/float
bg_1.0-6.deb (--install):
 files list file for package `mgetty-fax' contains empty filename
 debian/stable/binary-i386/x11/floatbg_1.0-6.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
DPKG ERROR

Above error.
When I try to run dselect
What I have tried so far is this..
dpkg --clear-avail
dpkg --purge mgetty-fax <---- above error message occurs
What database is dpkg reading, and can I just edit the darn thing?
I'm not even sure what cuased this to happen.
But I do need it resolved reinstalling is really not an option at
this point, I only have 1.1 on cdrom :-(
Going to order 1.3 today or tomorrow :-)

Any and All Help is `VERY' Welcome ;-)

TIA
Peter

DEBIAN the best LINUX distribution
GNU there simply isn't any other way to go