Re: available file

you don't need the available file. The status of your system is in status.
>Just remove the available file, and fire up dselect.
>
>Phil.

Hi Phil,
thanx for the tip.
But I recieved the following error(s)
When I did as you suggested.
I really need a solution as at the present time I can't add any *.deb's to my
system
Any and All help is "very" welcome

Dragon# dselect
Getting Packages files...(stop with ^C)

Connecting to ftp.debian.org...
Login as anonymous...
Setting transfer mode to binary...
Cd to /debian...
Getting Packages file from stable/binary-i386...
Getting Packages file from unstable/binary-i386...
Getting Packages file from non-free/binary-i386...
Getting Packages file from contrib/binary-i386...

It is a good idea to clear the available list of old packages.
However if you have only downloaded a Package files from non-main
distributions you might not want to do this.

Do you want to clear available list [y]:
Updating available packages info, using Packages.stable.
dpkg: failed to open package info file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' for reading: No
 such file or directory
Updating available packages info, using Packages.unstable.
dpkg: failed to open package info file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' for reading: No
 such file or directory
Updating available packages info, using Packages.non-free.
dpkg: failed to open package info file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' for reading: No
 such file or directory
Updating available packages info, using Packages.contrib.
dpkg: failed to open package info file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' for reading: No
 such file or directory
dpkg: failed to open package info file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' for reading: No
 such file or directory
error at /usr/lib/dpkg//methods/ftp/update line 142, <STDIN> chunk 1.
Dpkg merge available failed on Packages.stableDpkg merge available failed on Pac
kages.unstableDpkg merge available failed on Packages.non-freeDpkg merge availab
le failed on Packages.contribdpkg --forget-old-unavail failed
update available list script returned error exit status 9.
Press RETURN to continue.