Debian generic kernal w/umsdos?

Hi. I want to install Debian on a system without an ext2 partition. I can
boot the install program using loadlin, but can't mount my umsdos partition
because the generic kernal doesn't support umsdos. My intention, perhaps
wrongly, is to 'mount -t umsdos /dev/hdc2 /target'.

I have Debian installed on another partition that is ext2, but am looking
for a general procedure that won't require that. Is there a generic Debian
kernal I can download with umsdos support, or is there some other procedure
to allow me to install Debian directly on a dos partition?

Thanks.

Robin