Re: making 16bpp the default in X

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, David B. Teague wrote:

> Hi:
>
> A note of appreciation to several,and a continued request for help.
>
> Luke Bussanmas, Rob Browining, Brian White, and Gary Dolan (others?  if
> so accept my apology!)  have tried with varying degrees of success in
> helping me get Netscape running on my 1MB TVGA 9400 CXi card and KFC 15"
> monitor with X11R6, Debina 1.1 (with some upgrades). I am grateful to
> all the folk who try to help those of us who are informationally
> challenged.
>
> So far, I do not seem to be able to change the SVGA server from
> a 4 layer root window (Is this 4 bit color?).  I have place the
> line DefaultColorDepth 16 in the XF86Config file, no difference.

When you start X there is some info that scrolls on the screen just before
the display goes graphic.  What does this say in reference to color depth?
To read it, using startx, just do ctrl-alt-fn# # being the terminal you
ran startx from.

There are some other options you may have to set to get 16 bit color.
Read the man page on the server you're using (SVGA?) and see if it
supports the depth you want.  My card (TGUI9680XGI) supports 32 bit color
but the SVGA server will only put it in 16 bit for some reason.

Also try putting:

	Visual "TrueColor"

in subsection "Display"

L8R,

--Rick

Unsolicited commercial/propaganda email subject to legal action.  Under US
Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C), and Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a
State may impose a fine of NOT LESS than $500 per message.  Read the full
text of Title 47 Sec 227 at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html