Re: Is xdm required?

The instal script is just giving you the option of using xdm at bootup.
Just say no and you can start it manually, or any other X startup program.

On 4 Jun 1997 jghasler@win.bright.net wrote:

> J. Goldman writes:
> > Sorry, I'm confused. What do you mean by the statement that you "don't
> > want to be forced to activate it"? Do you mean you'd like for your
> > machine *not* to load xdm on startup?
>
> I suppose I should have said "don't want to be tricked into activating it".
> I was concerned that upgrading xbase would result in xdm being silently
> activated because the maintainer assumed that no one could possibly not
> want it.
>
> > If that's the case, just comment out the appropriate line in
> > /etc/X11/config.
>
> After somehow recovering from the flashing screen catastrophe (I have no
> network, and my floppy drive just died).
>
> In any case, my fears have been put to rest.
>
> John Hasler
> jghasler@win.bright.net (John Hasler)
> Dancing Horse Hill
> Elmwood, WI
>

> --

L8R,

--Rick

Unsolicited commercial/propaganda email subject to legal action.  Under US
Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C), and Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a
State may impose a fine of NOT LESS than $500 per message.  Read the full
text of Title 47 Sec 227 at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html